This fall, is going to mark the 20th anniversary of Sonic Youth / Nirvana 1991 tour and to celebrate the anniversary, Universal Music is going to release DVD version of a legendary Dave Markey documentary “The Year That Punk Broke”.
Originally released on VHS in 1992, the documentary captured Sonic Youth as they were making their way across Europe along with the likes of Dinosaur Jr. and Babes In Toyland.
Dave Markey’s 1991: The Year Punk Broke is a slab of D.I.Y. rock history. Markey films Sonic Youth and some of punk and grunge’s legendary groups as they tour the European festival circuit. This is before “Smells Like Teen Spirit” was released and Nirvana went from being an underground band to an international phenomenon. Featuring Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., Babes in Toyland, the Ramones, Mudhoney and more
Among other things included on DVD reissue is a 42 minute bonus movie entitled “(This Is Known As) The Blues Scale” with previously unseen Sonic Youth and Nirvana performances including “Inhuman”, “White Kross”, “Eric’s Trip” and “In Bloom.”
The entire documentary is available for streaming in its entirety on Google Videos (see it here) and will be available until June 29, so see it before it will be taken down!
See also: We Got Power Films | Slicing Up Eyeballs | Popshifter | The Film Reel
- Killing Joke Special – The Death And Resurrection Show
- Sonic Youth News – Dec. ’11 – Upcoming Albums From Disappears, Lee Ranaldo & more!
- Upcoming Boston Shows – Martin Bisi at Deep Thoughts + Interview Revisited
- A-Z of Amphetamine Reptile – King Snake Roost
- Sonic Youth Week – Profile – Kim Gordon
- Review: Mood Taeg – Exophora - 26th November 2020
- Track-by-Track: Nicholas Burgess – Electric Brain Electric Silence - 24th November 2020
- Review: Jesu – Terminus - 24th November 2020