Mr. Bungle’s self-titled 1991 album is definitely not music for a mass audience. Produced by jazz provocateur John Zorn (as seen above), Mr. Bungle is an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink blend of carnival prog, ska-metal, sea-shanty funk with a heaping helping of Patton’s manic vocal shred, scat and shriek. And there’s a John Wayne Gacy-looking clown on the cover. Frank Zappa more or less paved the way for the group’s brand of weirdo free-form genre mashing, though they certainly took it to an extreme. – Treble Zine
Way back in 2009 we profiled a merry band of freaks known as Mr. Bungle. Back then there was also little hope that messers Patton, Dunn and Spruance will ever go back to performing under that name.
Lo and behold/fast forward to 2019 and…they did. A number of shows were announced in LA, SF and Brooklyn (with Ian Scott and Dave Lombardo joining the main lineup).
Some of the footage from said shows made its way onto Youtube by now. Most peculiar of all – this thrashy new number called Glutton:
But back to our subject at hand…the playlist! It was compiled by our followers via a Twitter thread (hence all the unspooling) in which we asked everyone to name their favorite Mr. Bungle cut. Here are the results (along with a corresponding Youtube playlist):
The one where the evil magic fox chases the row of dancing fluffy chicks. Over and over the hills he runs towards the chicks, dancing in sunshine and blissfully unaware of the fate bearing down upon them. Great band on mushrooms if you’re in a good place emotionally. – Wasp Summer
i love when mr bungle go metal and i love the noise, sounds like a shower curtain scraping back and forth, and the catchy part has some of their best lyrics
- Unspooling the Thread: Talk Talk / Mark Hollis Playlist
- Unspooling the Thread: Andy Gill / Gang of Four Playlist
- Boston Shows – June 2019: Kristin Hersh + KH Playlist!
- Unspooling the Thread: Scott Walker Playlist
- Listening Room: Valentine’s 2019 Edition
- Track-by-Track: Middle Blue – Weird Funk in Small Bars - 27th November 2020
- Review: Mood Taeg – Exophora - 26th November 2020
- Track-by-Track: Nicholas Burgess – Electric Brain Electric Silence - 24th November 2020