Mixing jaggedly progressive post-punk guitar, jamming melodic fuzz bass and pummelling drum machine beats, delivered in a no-frills lo-fi-pop package, these Europe-based Australian instrumentalists have tapped their own original sound, emailing tracks back and forward, reconstructing and tweaking the others contributions, and minimising the possibility of rehearsal room punch-ups.
Shunning vocals to make more room for their soaring distortions, Civil Civic rejected the idea of a front man and instead created ‘The Box’. Part evil drum machine, part hobo light-show, all road-case, The Box completes the Man-Machine tryptic.
It seems that with their grisly arsenal of melody, noise, tricky bits, thuggy bits and that big horse-syringe full of type-O FUN, they’re determined to cement their reputation as “the thinking persons party band”, whatever the cost to themselves, music or humanity at large.
On a Different Note:
- Facebook Digest – May 2016
- A-Z of Skin Graft Records – Q Electronics / Drum Buddy
- Theory Of Everything – Bios – Milk (UK)
- Retro Reviews – Sonic Youth – Experimental Jet Set, Trash And No Star / Washing Machine
- A-Z of Skin Graft Records – Zeek Sheck