New York six-legged rhythmic juggernaut Battles are one of the most exciting and respected alternative bands of recent years and they return with their second album ‘Gloss Drop’.
The album ranges from lead track ‘Ice Cream’, a “grunty, squelchy, jubilant freakout” according to the NME, and Radio 1’s The Hottest Record In The World – a calypso tinged rhythmic juggernaut powering through the airwaves of Radio 1, XFM and 6Music, through to denser, more industrial tracks (‘My Machines’, featuring Gary Numan, is a prime example) – at times playful, at times hard-edged, but always unmistakably Battles.
Outgoing member Tyondai Braxton’s vocals have made way for a host of guest vocalists, ranging from Numan to Kazu from Blonde Redhead and Eye from Boredoms.
Gloss Drop, the sophomore album from New York supergroup Battles (featuring members of Tomahawk, Don Caballero, Helmet and Storm & Stress) is available for streaming via Warp Records Soundcloud page. You can also check out a video for “Ice Cream”.
- Upcoming Music Releases – Battles – Gloss Drop (Warp)
- Gloss Drop – The Reviews Are In!
- New/Upcoming Muisc Releases – Shadows Of Forgotten Ancestors Soundtrack + Dross Glop
- Recap: Compilations from June 2020
- A Look Back At 2011 – A Hawk And A Hacksaw, Battles, Cabaret Voltaire
- Track-by-Track: Middle Blue – Weird Funk in Small Bars - 27th November 2020
- Review: Mood Taeg – Exophora - 26th November 2020
- Track-by-Track: Nicholas Burgess – Electric Brain Electric Silence - 24th November 2020