Having missed LB show few years ago, I finally was able to see what they were about on a recent Sunday night at the ‘Dise.
Along for the ride were Gondoliers and Buck Gooter (whom I mistakenly labelled as “Cop Killer”).
Gondoliers – Excellent opener, perhaps one of the best openers on my recent memory.
Their lead singer exudes a certain Morrison-esque coolness and while some of their songs reference anyone from Melvins to Scratch Acid/Jesus Lizard and then some of their other songs seem to reference but the band themselves. We were definitely off to a good start…
And then Cop Killer…err Buck Gooter came on and while they didn’t ruin the show, I wouldn’t say that they were my favorites from that night either.
Combining a lead singer who seemingly stole at least a couple of moves from Phil Anselmo circa early 90s, a guitar player who looked like he could’ve been J. Mascis granddad and a drum machine, they certainly were a strange amalgam. Their music, however, quickly becomes a bit boring and repetitive with all the endless yelling and pounding.
And, finally…*drum roll*…
With all the trademark drum pounding and buzzsaw guitars, LB caused enough mayhem and pandemonium all around without anyone being injured or killed.
Note – the reason why Motorhead is mentioned above is because the band compared themsleves to them in a recent interview (with tongue firmly stuck in cheek, one assumes). To these ears they certainly sounded little like Lemmie and Co., save for rafter-shaking abilities of both bands.
Crown of the evening should definitely go to LB, with Gondoliers being a great opening act and Buck Gooter being ok/average second opening act.
Video credit: kvjain86
Also – check out excellent photos of the show taken by Bill T Miller!
- Video Premiere – Buck Gooter – I Don't Talk to the Dead
- Guest Mix – Modern Folk / Virginia
- Blog Summary – April 2019: Pt. 1
- Albums of the Year – 2016: The Modern Folk
- Show Review – Young Widows + My Disco + Now Denial + Disappearer at Great Scott (5.8.2011)
- Upcoming Releases: Matmos – The Consuming Flame - 7th July 2020
- Track-by-Track: Polypores – Universe B - 6th July 2020
- Unspooling the Thread // Favorite Record Labels (Pt. 1) - 6th July 2020