The Pikacyu / Makoto collaboration is a wildly oscillating affair, pitching between Kosmische chanting and garage-rock fretwork. As you’d expect from a member of Acid Mothers Temple, at points the tracks become almost mantric in their circularity (Wild Rise). It’s all good and if you are a Temple fan then you’ll want to get this.
Hey Colossus release is a far grimier affair with primordial drumming, and acres of guitar mangling, but retaining that same anarchic sense. The pace does slow at points (Warmer The Better), but the vocals remain stranded in the prehistoric swamp over the seven tracks, at times recalling Gibby Haynes’ early efforts. “I am Bunga Bunga” which finishes the album epitomises the gonzoid sense of fun that permeates this effort.
Dead Elephant opt for more expansive, but nonetheless engaging strokes. There’s a bit of sonic ambition at work (On The Stem) coupled with a punchy grunge dynamic (Destrudo) that powers the album along. Again, an enjoyably dynamic release that sweeps the listener along.
Riot Season have done a sterling effort with these three releases. Space / freak-out / Stoner Rock is in safe hands!
More info: Dead Elephant | Hey Colossus | Riot Season
- Free Compilations Galore – Riot Season + Kill Rock Stars + Mexican Summer!
- Review: Hibushibire – Turn On, Tune In, Freak Out!
- Unspooling the Thread: Best Places to Start with Beefheart, Acid Mothers and Oren Ambarchi
- Blog Summary: March 2019 – Pt. 1
- Clocca Loxodonta story – as told by Jess Cron (FEASTofFETUS)