Another bit of unpleasant news – Danny Flesher, one of the founders of legendary Wax Trax! Records label passed away, aged 58.
Flesher started Wax Trax! with Jam Nash in the late 70s – initially as a record store, but after releasing Brian Eno’s “Wimmoweh / Deadly Seven Finns” seven-inch and further releases of material by Strike Under, Divine and Ministry finally established it as a label.
All in all, the label released material by countless bands, including Front 242, KMFDM, Front Line Assembly, Young Gods, Coil, Controlled Bleeding, KLF, Laibach and many others.
Following bankruptcy, the label was sold to TVT Records in 1992 and 3 years later Danny Nash died from AIDS-related complications. WTII Records was set up in 2000 by Bart Pfanenstiel, a former label employee and it was created in order to revive the spirit of Wax Trax!.
As a reminder of Wax Trax and its owners, here’s a number of videos which were recorded by labels artists (thanks to YouTube user nocomment242).
- Touch & Go – R.I.P?
- R.I.P. – Jay Reatard (May 1, 1980 – January 13, 2010)
- R.I.P. – Ari Up (1962-2010)
- Streaming Vault – Bambara, Beak>, Bygones
- Label Profile – Silber Records
- Review: Eyes Everywhere – Through the Eye of Justice EP - 23rd November 2020
- Listen: Cosmic Church of I Heart Noise – Ep. 3 - 22nd November 2020
- Track-by-Track: Rupert Lally – Where the Dark Speaks - 20th November 2020