Alex Chilton, lead singer of Big Star, died on Wednesday in New Orleans. He was 59 years old.
Chilton started out by singing with Box Tops (and scoring the hit with”The Letter”) and after the band broke up in the 70s, he formed Big Star with fellow musicians Chris Bell, Andy Hummel and Jody Stephens.
Big Star were scheduled to play as a part of South By Southwest festival in Austin, Texas, as well as Levitt Shell in Memphis. Its unclear what’s going to happen to these shows now.
Further Reading: The Commercial Appeal
- Kim Gordon / Thurston Moore Announce Split
- Tour Dates – Boris + Details on “Gensho”
- New Names to Learn – Burnt Skull
- Upcoming Music Festivals – FutureEverything ’10
- Upcoming Music Releases – Melvins – Sugar Daddy Live (Ipecac)
- Review: Eyes Everywhere – Through the Eye of Justice EP - 23rd November 2020
- Listen: Cosmic Church of I Heart Noise – Ep. 3 - 22nd November 2020
- Track-by-Track: Rupert Lally – Where the Dark Speaks - 20th November 2020