Alex Chilton, lead singer of Big Star, died on Wednesday in New Orleans. He was 59 years old.
Chilton started out by singing with Box Tops (and scoring the hit with”The Letter”) and after the band broke up in the 70s, he formed Big Star with fellow musicians Chris Bell, Andy Hummel and Jody Stephens.
Big Star were scheduled to play as a part of South By Southwest festival in Austin, Texas, as well as Levitt Shell in Memphis. Its unclear what’s going to happen to these shows now.
Further Reading: The Commercial Appeal
- Kim Gordon / Thurston Moore Announce Split
- Tour Dates – Boris + Details on “Gensho”
- New Names to Learn – Burnt Skull
- Upcoming Music Festivals – FutureEverything ’10
- Upcoming Music Releases – Melvins – Sugar Daddy Live (Ipecac)
- Unspooling the Thread // Exploring African Music with Greg Nieuwsma - 25th May 2020
- Track-by-Track: Closed Circuits – Lucifer - 25th May 2020
- Upcoming Livestreams / Online Shows / Festivals – May 2020 - 21st May 2020