Japanese band Boris just released “BXI” – a collaborative EP that the band recorded with none other than The Cult singer Ian Astbury. It may sound like an extremely unlikely / odd/ random combination, but check out the video for a live cover of Doors classic “The End” and decide for yourself.
The forces of awesome randomness strike again! Japanese doom overlords Boris have teamed up with a truly unexpected collaborator: Ian Astbury, the gigantic-voiced yowler from metal mystics the Cult. Together, they’ve recorded an EP called BXI, which Southern Lord will release on CD and 12″ vinyl in September.
Boris and Astbury recorded the EP together in Tokyo, and Sunn o))) mastermind Stephen O’Malley designed the packaging. Astbury sang three of the EP’s four songs. The other is a cover of the Cult’s “Rain”, featuring Boris’ Wata on vocals.
Read an interview with the band on Pitchfork.
- First Listen – Boris – Heavy Rocks + Attention Please (NPR)
- Band Profile – Sunn O)))
- Heavy Rocks / Attention Please – The Reviews Are In!
- Stream – Boris – New Album + Listen To "Flare" and "Spoon"
- Band Profile – Khanate
- Upcoming Releases: Matmos – The Consuming Flame - 7th July 2020
- Track-by-Track: Polypores – Universe B - 6th July 2020
- Unspooling the Thread // Favorite Record Labels (Pt. 1) - 6th July 2020