Third full-length from Loisville, KY trio Young Widows. Its a follow-up to 2008 “Old Wounds” LP and was produced by the band and Kevin Ratterman (My Morning Jacket) at The Funeral Home in their hometown of Louisville, KY.
The musical palette remains fundamentally the same—singer-guitarist Evan Patterson’s cavernous, warped blues riffs weighted by Nick Thieneman’s earth-shaking bass and drummer Jeremy McMonigle’s sturdy, shifting rhythms—but the augmented instrumentation and choral vocals lifts them to incredible new heights. With lyrical themes of emotional despair and domestic dissolution leading to inevitable catharsis, Youth and Lightness finds Patterson rising from his personal hell with a level of wisdom and maturity that most aggressive bands will never know. With a depth and ambition well beyond their years, Young Widows have stepped out of the shadows of their influences to become one of America’s more interesting and spirited underground rock bands. In and Out of Youth and Lightness is an unquestionable breakthrough for the band and an inspiring force in the canon of heavy music.
1. Young Rivers
2. Future Heart (MP3)
3. In and Out of Lightness (MP3)
4. Lean on the Ghost
5. The Muted Man
6. Right in the End
7. Miss Tambourine Wrist
8. White Golden Rings
9. In and Out of Youth
Visit Temporary Residence Limited in order to buy the album. You can also buy it via Boomkat.
Reviews: Extreme Responses | Rock Sound TV | SputnikMusic | Stereogum | Treble
- Show Review – Young Widows + My Disco + Now Denial + Disappearer at Great Scott (5.8.2011)
- Band Profile – Young Widows
- Young Widows – Into The Funeral Home / Photos
- Review Vault – Hannibal Montana, Hypnotic Hysteria, Kings Destroy
- Band Profile – Birdbrain
- Review: Eyes Everywhere – Through the Eye of Justice EP - 23rd November 2020
- Listen: Cosmic Church of I Heart Noise – Ep. 3 - 22nd November 2020
- Track-by-Track: Rupert Lally – Where the Dark Speaks - 20th November 2020