A round of Bandcamp/music recommendations from our follower Immune to Boredom!
Julius Eastman – Femenine (Frozen Reeds)
Julius Eastman was a black, gay composer who died tragically young in 1990. While that is key info, the real treasure is his music. Femenine (1974) sounds so far ahead of its time. Minimalist, captivating. Sound of angels?
This from Nicole Mitchell is a truly global music, infused w the optimism of Octavia Butler’s Afro-futurist vision. Features the awesome @cellisita Tomeka Reid. Must hear.
Harriet Tubman – Araminta (Sunnyside)
What could be more apropo of Juneteenth @Bandcamp than the band Harriet Tubman? Killer trio augmented by the great @WadadaLeoSmith. Echoes late 60s Miles, but never droops into lame imitation. gtrist Brandon Ross will make you esp happy u bought this.
Juneteenth @Bandcamp day rolls along w the Best. Band. Ever.
Art Ensemble of Chicago’s ‘We Are On the Edge’ led by orig members Roscoe Mitchell and Famoudou Don Moye, this 1/2 live/studio set is worth the coin for @MoorMother’s title track turn alone.
Junius Paul – Ism (International Anthem)
@JuniusPaulMusic has been making a name for himself as part of AACM for many years now, incl work w Art Ens of Chi and Roscoe Mitchell projects. This features a bunch of his projects across a wide range of ..styles. I had trouble getting my head around the album’s personality…it felt so ‘here and there’ 1st few times. Then I got it:
@JuniusPaulMusic contains multitudes! Co-produced w Makaya McCraven, another Chicago beast w a thousand faces.
I’m out. Wear your damn mask!
- Recap: Juneteenth Bandcamp Recommendations + Leftovers
- Bandcamp Recommendations // Joel Berk
- The Embiggening – Immune to Boredom on Big Ears 2018
- Recap: Bandcamp Friday / June 5th + Leftovers
- Juneteenth Bandcamp Recommendations // Round 2
- Watch: IHN Fest 7/1 - 2nd July 2020
- Summer Days in a Quarantine Haze // Guest Mix by Andrew Anderson - 1st July 2020
- Track-by-Track: Deeper Graves – Open Roads - 30th June 2020