Starting from the late 70s, US-born / England based duo of identical twins Stephen and Timothy Quay produced a whole number of stop-motion animations and their unique style, in turn, influenced a whole number of other animators. Much of their work is based on writings of Franz Kafka and Bruno Schulz, features little to no dialogue and relies heavily on musical score / soundtracks.
Their connection with musical world became more pronounced as their directed music videos for His Name Is Alive, Michael Penn and 16 Horsepower. Some incorrectly assume that they are responsible for creating videos for the band Tool (undoubtedly, very similar in style to Quay’s work, but created mostly by the band’s guitarist Adam Jones).
Presented below of the two of the videos that Brothers Quay directed for the band His Name Is Alive – “Are We Still Married” (off of “Dirt Eaters” EP) and “Can’t Go Wrong Without You” (off of “Mouth By Mouth” LP).
Are We Still Married
Can’t Go Wrong Without You
- New Music Releases – Wolf Eyes – Always Wrong (Hospital Productions)
- Watch: 40 for 40s – Petridisch/Cryostasium
- New Music Releases – A Place To Bury Strangers – Exploding Head
- Blog Summary: March 2019 – Pt. 1
- Profile – Raymond Pettibon
Latest posts by Ilya S. (see all)
- Track-by-Track: Nicholas Burgess – Electric Brain Electric Silence - 24th November 2020
- Review: Jesu – Terminus - 24th November 2020
- Listen: Fighter Jets x IHeartNoise November 2020 Mixtape - 24th November 2020