Using his drums to trigger and manipulate samples, Chang builds big beats laced with florid melodies in real time, interconnecting the role of producer, DJ, and drummer with only his kit and computer. On his magnetic debut EP, 2017’s Spiritual Leader, the improvised songs are kinetic and considered, punching you in the chest as they compel you to ponder the drum’s digital past and future. Live, Chang links the drums to bright lights that surround him, creating a fully immersive experience for eyes, ears, and body alike.
See also: Big Ears Archives / Big Ears 2019 – Video Playlist
Ian Chang is a new name to us, but we were so impressed by the video of his we saw prior to heading to Big Ears that we thought his show would be absolutely worth seeing. And sure enough – he managed to get out some incredible sounds out of a super minimal set up of drumkit and laptop, no small feat by any means (its worth mentioning that visuals were also an important of the show).
We’ve watched this video of @ianyhchang using his “Sensory Percussion” lights-and-sound setup so many times that we just have to share. See it live at Big Ears 2019: https://t.co/OdUkoUiVVp pic.twitter.com/F76NdsTrFw
— Big Ears Festival (@BigEarsFestival) January 18, 2019
In addition to being a solo artist Ian also plays in Body Language and Son Lux. Check out his debut solo EP Spiritual Leader.
- Things We Saw / Things We Missed @ Big Ears 2018 – Algiers
- Big Ears 2019 Recap + 2020 announcement!
- Things We Saw @ Big Ears 2018 – Jaga Jazzist
- Recap: Big Ears 2018
- Big Ears 2019 Recap: This Is Not This Heat
- Track-by-Track: Nicholas Burgess – Electric Brain Electric Silence - 24th November 2020
- Review: Jesu – Terminus - 24th November 2020
- Listen: Fighter Jets x IHeartNoise November 2020 Mixtape - 24th November 2020