Its no secret that at this point vinyl production is an obscenely expensive and slow process. Yet, in spite of all the production/cost flaws vinyl also remains one of most attractive options when it comes to physical mediums.
So how do smaller labels manage to produce vinyl in face of all the obstacles? We asked that exact question to our readers in early April and now we invite you to join the thread/share your thoughts:
I’m curious – how do small labels put out vinyl these days?
— IHeartNoise (@Iheartnoise) April 9, 2019
Participants so far:
Dubpixel / mrscientificterms / Kees de Groot / WarHen Records / Tristan Welch / Aerocade Music / WhatFreshHell / Jim Moon / Rodney Cromwell / Andrew W Harper / S Montgomery / Mistake by the Lake / Yes Selma / Art for Blind / Riot Season Records / Burning Witches Records / Jon Solomon / Conan Neutron and more!
Sometime after the thread was created a couple of significant vinyl-related developments followed
1. Bandcamp announced that they’re going to start offering in-house vinyl pressing/shipping
2. Mother Tongue, a new pressing plant/distributor, opened in Italy
- Unspooling the Thread: Best Places to Start with Beefheart, Acid Mothers and Oren Ambarchi
- Little Guide to Physical Formats for Independent Labels/Artists
- Around 2018 in 12 Weeks: Retrospective Label Mix by Burning Witches
- Our Followers Pick Their Favorite Indie Labels: Recap 1
- Listen: Rodney’s International Disco Mix