Note – “Theory Of Everything” is an upcoming digital compilation from IHRTN. You can preview it here
Their contribution: Overturning the Rumford Fair Housing Act
The United Sons of Toil are a collective deeply rooted in the grinding noise and math rock that bubbled up from the Midwest during the mid ’90s. This is not suggest that the Sons are a retro band in any sense, simply that the hoarse vocals, guitar damage, starts and stops, and sometimes-convoluted arrangements and time signatures hark back to a time when labels like Touch and Go, AmRep, and Dischord lorded over the indie-rock landscape.
A number of other influences reared their ugly heads during the course of the first USoT record, 2007’s Hope Is Not a Strategy, notably the angular post-hardcore of outfits like Hoover and Unwound as well as the decidedly socialist bent of the sparse lyrics. Indeed, songs that compare family dynamics with political systems put the Sons squarely in the Gang-of-Four school of populist deconstruction.
Hope Is Not A Strategy (Self Released, 2007)
Until Lions Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter (Self Released, 2008)
United Sons Of Toil / Lars Bang Larsen Split 7″ (Fidel Bastro, 2011)
When The Revolution Comes, Everything Will Be Beautiful (Phratry, 2011)
Visit USoT: Official Site | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
- Theory Of Everything – Final Preview – Pts. 1, 2 & 3
- Another Live Preview of Upcoming IHRTN Comps!
- IHRTN Posts Roundup!
- Yet Another Live Preview Of Upcoming IHRTN Comps!
- Theory Of Everything – Final Preview – Pts. 1-4
- Report Card #3 – Skyjelly / Solilians Split - 4th December 2020
- Premiere: Cheer-Accident – Weather Report/Shaft/Salvation Army Salad/InnTrialTaint - 4th December 2020
- Listen: Guest Mix by Allister Thompson - 3rd December 2020