Note – “Theory Of Everything” is an upcoming digital compilation from IHRTN. You can preview it here.
Their contribution: 10,000 Black Masses (Pt.1)
Hopewell is a New York band which was formed in the mid 90s by one-time Mercury Rev bassist Jason Sebastian Russo. The band’s first album was 1998 “Contact”, which came out on Detroit’s Burnt Hair Records (who also released Hopewell’s split with Windy & Carl three years earlier).
Although heavier than most bands under the space rock banner, Poughkeepsie, NY’s Hopewell fits comfortably in the genre, playing interstellar guitar pop as well as dreamy psychedelia. And despite the fact that bandleader Jason Russo (vocals, guitar) is a member of Mercury Rev, Harmony Rockets, and the Golden Crickets, Hopewell have managed to maintain an entirely individual sound, with only the occasional Rev influence seeping through.
All Music Guide
Hopewell’s most recent release is “Hopewell Live Volume 1“, which as the number indicates, is just the first part of two-volume live album comprised of songs recorded between Truck Festival America and All Tomorrow’s Parties festivals.
Contact (Burnt Hair, 1997)
The Curved Glass (Priapus, 2000)
Hopewell & The Birds Of Appetite (Tee Pee, 2005)
Beautiful Targets (Tee Pee, 2007)
Good Good Desperation (Tee Pee, 2009)
Visit Hopewell: Facebook | Bandcamp | Last.fm | MySpace
- Label News – BML/HM Bundle + Kit Records Mix + Album of the Year lists!
- MP3 Roundup – Hallock Hill + Hopewell + Diamond Center + Ruin/Renewal
- 2017 on Video – Boston to NYC
- Reading Room: Johnny Thunders/So Alone – 40th Anniversary Release
- Summary – March 2018
- Track-by-Track: Middle Blue – Weird Funk in Small Bars - 27th November 2020
- Review: Mood Taeg – Exophora - 26th November 2020
- Track-by-Track: Nicholas Burgess – Electric Brain Electric Silence - 24th November 2020