Fat Shuggy is nom de plume of David Sugarman (aka Shuggy Sugarman) – I had a chance to meet the man through many of Boston Hassle meetings (as well as recent Hassle Fest 7 which he was also a part of). I knew that he’s also a musician, but I was in for a shock when I found out just what is it exactly that he’s doing on the record.
His debut Espro Cru Oyni si Luo Sym is a sonic exorcism (or witches Sabbath) in its purest form – a cornucopia of strange sound effects, rapped, distorted and sped up vocals/choruses and noises of unknown origin all blending into one hell of a brew.
This one is definitely not for the faint of heart and/or fans of AM/FM radio, but I believe that Renaldo & The Loaf, Residents, Id M Theft Able, Crank Sturgeon and Dylan Nyoukis fans will eat this up and ask for the second and this (and possibly fourth and fifth) serving.
Fat Shuggy is playing at Deep Thoughts JP on Monday, November 16 w/Los Condenados, Embarker and Blue Tiger
On a Different Note:
- BBE Posts Roundup – Fat Shuggy, Skyjelly & more!
- Crossposting – Boston Becomes Eclectic > I Heart Noise (Nov. 23)
- Hassle Fest Memories – Day 1: JOSS / Urochromes / Black Beach
- Hassle Fest 7 Memories – Day 2: Dent + Unicorn Hard-On + Mini Dresses
- Hassle Fest Memories – Day 1: New England Patriots / Downtown Boys / Whip Appeal