This evening at Great Scott brought together two local bands (Thief Thief, Young Adults) and two out-of-state bands (Vandelles, Ringo Deathstarr), with each one showcasing their own take on noise/noise-pop/shoegaze.
Thief Thief – TT is “two people pretending they are three”. While not as noisy as three other bands on the bill, they were still very loud and, indeed, turned out quite an entertaining set. Comparisons with Marnie Stern/Hella abound and they’re not too far off the mark.
Vandelles – As one might’ve guessed by their name, Vandelles play a combination of sunny 60s pop and noise (noise-pop, really), with two girls and two boys sharing the duties. I think that their set was an absolute highlight of the evening – plenty of melody, plenty of noise and plenty of good time.
Ringo Deathstarr – More noise-pop, this time out of Texas (not to mention that they’re one of the most talked about bands at the moment). RD lost me with some of the slow numbers and male vocals that sounded a bit like poor man’s version of J. Mascis, but otherwise they were incredible – and a lot of those bad feelings dissipiated anyway after they did a final noise jam together with members of Vandelles.
Young Adults – Didn’t catch their set, but I can attest to the fact that their debut album (“Black Hole“) is delicious.
In my opinion, the evening’s first prize should go to Vandelles, whose blend of sunny pop and noise was absolutely astounding. In the end, though, it must be said that all four were/are equally amazing and they’re certainly worthy of further investigation.
Poster source: Songkick
- IHRTN Posts Roundup – Stinking Lizaveta, Locrian and more!
- Temporary Break / Hiatus
- 2011 Releases Roundup – The Vandelles + Ringo Deathstarr
- Temporary Break / Hiatus + More bands / labels to check out
- Boston Events – Deep Heaven Now
- Listen: VEX // Guest Mix by 9T Antiope - 26th March 2020
- Around 2019 in 12 Weeks: Label / End of the Year Mix by Muzan Editions - 23rd March 2020
- St. Paddy’s 2020: Artists/Labels from Ireland + New Music Recommendations - 17th March 2020