“She Was Coloured In” is a debut from Solar Bears, a duo of John McElheron and Rian Trench who are currently signed to London label Planet Mu.
By all accounts, “Coloured” sounds like a modern day version of Vangelis and/or Tangerine Dream (or any krautrock band, for that matter). Its a set of 15 short tracks, which employ anything from robotic vocals to guitars and (not surprisingly) synths.
Listening to “Coloured” is not unlike being a child and looking into kaleidoscope with sounds acting as a replacement for colors. There’s all those tiny loops and effects, that, when put together, create those terrific little compositions.
Its dance/electronic music for people who hate dance/electronic music, since its so well-crafted (unlike the typical dance floor fodder).
Highly recommended, indeed.
- Review: Nikmis – Jawbone
- Zip-Tie Handcuffs – Heavy Love Child
- Submission Review – Killerkume – Trautzer Blaster
- Song Premiere: Scyphozoan – Talk About Us
- Review + Download – Finneyerkes – Gather & Sing / Without End / Elsie / Bastard
- Track-by-Track: Middle Blue – Weird Funk in Small Bars - 27th November 2020
- Review: Mood Taeg – Exophora - 26th November 2020
- Track-by-Track: Nicholas Burgess – Electric Brain Electric Silence - 24th November 2020