(Ghost Box Orchestra) sound as if Ennio Morricone and Dick Dale went driving through the desert listening to Zeppelin and Floyd. – Anonymous SXSW 2010 Attendee
“The Only Light On” is a debut album by Ghost Box Orchestra, who more recently performed at Deep Heaven Now, a resurrected version of Deep Heaven festivals that took place in Boston in the 90s.
And the unknown SXSW attendee got it right – “Light” is best thought of as a result of a musical collaboration between cowboys and surfers who somehow met along the banks of Charles River – “A chance meeting on the banks of Charles Of Cowboys And Surfers”, to paraphrase the title of classic Nurse With Wound LP).
At heart, its a post-rock/instrumental record, but there’s plenty of other influences too – from surf to spaghetti western soundtracks. Its very cohesive/fluid kind, so its best to listen to it in an entirety, without skipping any of the tracks.
“Light” is a mighty fine debut, indeed and if you’re a fan of surf, spaghetti western soundtracks or post-rock, you should head over to the band’s website and/or check out the streaming version of the album at Apollo Audio.
Buy “The Only Light On” on Amazon | Buy it on Itunes
Further Info: Official Site | Bandcamp | Facebook | MySpace
Features / Reviews : Boston Globe | Tri-State Independent | Weekly Dig
- Deep Heaven Now – Videos + Free Comps!
- Stream – Ghost Box Orchestra – Sound of (Eternal Now) EP
- Boston Not LA / Gone In 60 Sec. Marathon – Ghost Box Orchestra
- Boston Events – Deep Heaven Now 2
- Boston Not LA Recap – Ghost Box Orchestra + Skyjelly + Walter Sickert and the Army of Broken Toys
- Track-by-Track: Cool and Frank – Contacts in the Unseen World EP - 24th October 2020
- Review: USA Nails – Character Stop - 24th October 2020
- Track-by-Track: Sunbane – Crooked Timber - 23rd October 2020