Fresh food for thought – handpicked by our followers!
I wrote for @NPR about how Tencent now owns a piece of the world’s biggest record label (UMG) AND the world’s biggest paid music-streaming service (Spotify), and how that reveals that labels and tech companies rely more on each other than ever, not less.
Found this interesting article while researching
the global used clothes market
Her name was Mileva Maric (1875 – 1948), once Mileva Einstein, and there was a time, long ago, when she was the mathematical heart of a startling revolution in physics.
A few thoughts about the minimalist-music deity Terry Riley.
SF’s Russian bookstore is opening a new chapter under new ownership, embracing the diversity of the Russian-speaking community. I wrote about the role of this store in my family’s immigration story, generational divides w/ in the Russian community and more.
Discover a new world of proggy, synthy and ’80s-indebted Italian record labels courtesy of NTS Radio Host and eclectic DJ Elena Colombi.
Especially when the Morality Police get acquired.
A little-known start-up helps law enforcement match photos of unknown people to their online images — and “might lead to a dystopian future or something,” a backer says.
From toxic wastewater to greenhouse gas emissions, the boom in vinyl has dangerous effects – but streaming isn’t as clean an alternative as it looks
For Hot Pod, I dove into the harsh economics of 24/7 “lofi hip-hop radio – beats to relax/study to” livestreams (I have yet to meet an artist who got paid from them) and how the scene is getting increasingly commoditized
I talked to Cursive’s Tim Kasher about their latest record, the anniversary of Domestica, and the struggle to make art without letting money dictate your creative decisions.
6 months ago, @brandonstosuy suggested I write a guide for @thecreativeindp called, How to Build the Future Music Industry We Want and Need. I remember thinking, 𝙒𝙃𝙊 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙩𝙤 𝙖𝙣𝙨𝙬𝙚𝙧 𝙖 𝙦𝙪𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩?
- Unspooling the Thread: Vinyl and Indie Record Labels
- Three One G (31G) / Justin Pearson Interview
- Indie Label Roundtable #4 – Whited Sepulchre Records / Crafted Sounds / Tor Johnson Records
- Indie Label Roundtable – Community Radio Tapes / WarHen Records / Blue Tapes
- Recycle Weekend – Electronic Beats + Backseat Mafia
- Track-by-Track: Middle Blue – Weird Funk in Small Bars - 27th November 2020
- Review: Mood Taeg – Exophora - 26th November 2020
- Track-by-Track: Nicholas Burgess – Electric Brain Electric Silence - 24th November 2020