Begun in Berlin in 2005, the album was recorded at Thirlwell’s Self Immolation studios in Brooklyn, and the 5.1 mixes were made at Harvestworks Studio with Paul Geluso. The album follows the release of last year’s acclaimed Mesopelagic Waters on John Zorn’s Tzadik label, which was performed by Manorexia as a chamber ensemble. Manorexia will be performing in October 2011 with Portishead at All Tomorrow’s Parties event in Asbury Park, NJ.
It’s deliberately, unashamedly, ‘soundtrack music’ to a film that doesn’t yet exist. It’s the musique concrètethat gets me, though – all those teeth-jittering squeaks and bangs and clangs that are so very painful on the ears. Yes, there’s lush orchestration, but it’s not light and accessible like previous outings. Nearly halway though the album, we have a track that doesn’t feel like an endurance test with ‘A Plastic Island In The Pacific’. It’s not like I hated the preceding tracks – like Elphaba, they were impossible not to admire, but just so terribly difficult to like.
03. Ten Ton Shadow
04. Krzystl (MP3 Sample)
05. A Plastic Island In The Pacific
07. The Perfect Patsy (MP3 Sample)
08. Hoarse Platitudes
11. Struck (MP3 Sample)
Check out audio samples from the album here.
Reviews: Brainwashed | Brutal Resonance | Ondarock (Italian-only) | Alarm Press – This Week’s Best Albums: July 5 2011
See also: Ventures Bros Blog | Reinspired | Mantis Eye Experiment | Industrial R(evolution)
Visit Manorexia: Last.fm | Facebook
- New Music Releases – J.G. Thirlwell / Manorexia – The Mesopelagic Waters
- Mike Patton's Week – Continued – His Other Bands / Projects
- New Music Releases – March of 2010
- Compilation Highlight – Whore: Various Artists Play Wire (WMO)
- A-Z of Skin Graft Records – Ruins
- Listen: VEX // Guest Mix by 9T Antiope - 26th March 2020
- Around 2019 in 12 Weeks: Label / End of the Year Mix by Muzan Editions - 23rd March 2020
- St. Paddy’s 2020: Artists/Labels from Ireland + New Music Recommendations - 17th March 2020