sLOVEnia (caps intentional) is a track that Bloomington, IN band Ativin contributed to anti-sexual violence benefit compilation Ooh, Do I Love You in 1996 (other contributors included Rainer Maria, Promise Ring and Braid).
What it resembles most closely (to these ears, at least) is Good Morning Captain – minus the screamed vocals. The band’s MO is mostly in start-stop/low-to-quiet conversion and they certainly demonstrate it very well there – what initially sounds like a very non-threatening ebb and flow eventually turns into a tidal wave of aural violence with the last 30 seconds or so featuring a wall of pummeling drums and distortion.
Check out the track here (via There Is No Black and White blog).
- New Music Releases – Retox – Ugly Animals (Ipecac Records)
- Review – Locrian – Rain Of Ashes
- Review + Download – Tree No Leaves – Peer Pressure / Mass Euphoria / Under The Covers
- Review – Nurse With Wound – The Surveillance Lounge (United Dirter, 2009)
- Review – Slow Six – Tomorrow Becomes You (Western Vinyl, 2010)