It is now available for download via Ubuweb.
Each year, Giorno and his friend William S. Burroughs put out a compilation featuring themselves and the musicians most admired among the New York loft set.
This year he and Burroughs are joined by Coil’s tromping and pulsing instrumental “Neither His Nor Yours” as it sets with a dance beat of hissing steam-iron sounds on a ping-pong stereo march. Swans member Michael Gira reads on his track, and Sonic Youth bring their raggedly jagged cutting-edge guitars to Kim Gordon’s sensitively moaned vocal drones.
Including Husker Du’s 1983 recording of “Won’t Change” is a calculated bid for the affections of college radio programmers. What the other groups share in sound and image, Husker don’t.
SPIN, May 1986
Check out this Leftfield, Alternative, Spoken Word, Experimental comp from hell, with memorable moments by Cabaret Voltaire, Sonic Youth, Diamanda Galas, and COIL.
Released through Giorno Poetry Systems label (run by a poet John Giorno), artwork for the compilation was created by New York artist Keith Harring.
Hüsker Dü – “Won’t Change”
David Johansen – “Johnsonius”
John Giorno Band – “Scum & Slime”
William S. Burroughs – Excerpts from the Western Lands: The President, Colonel Bradford, Everyman a God
Sonic Youth – “Halloween”
Cabaret Voltaire – “Dead Man’s Shoes”
Diamanda Galás – “Excerpt from Eyes Without Blood”
Coil – “Neither His Nor Yours”
Michael Gira – “Game”
David Van Tieghem – “Out of the Frying Pan”
Jessica Hagedorn & the Gangster Choir – “Tenement Lover”
- Stuff You Might've Missed / Download – A Diamond Hidden In The Mouth Of A Corpse
- Download – A Diamond Hidden In The Mouth Of A…
- Grab Bag Of Compilations From 31G, Sub Pop and Giorno Poetry Systems!
- Swans Special Overview
- Swans Week – Beautiful People Ltd + Blackmouth
- Video Premiere: Talking Book – Blood Aurora / Thermal Drift - 2nd April 2020
- Track-by-Track: Sound Effects of Death and Horror – The Rose and the Cross - 28th March 2020
- Review: Stella Splendens – Chromatophore - 28th March 2020